Hanna Checker - pH Colorimeter
The HI-780 Checker HC is a simple, accurate, and cost effective way to measure pH in seawater.
Designed as a more accurate alternative to chemical test kits, this handheld colorimeter provides quick, accurate pH testing results.
pH of ocean surface water is normally 7.5.to 8.5 pH.
Over the years however, acidification tendency is to decrease 0.1 to 0.2 pH units/century. Acidification is a consequence of carbon dioxide (CO₂) absorption in seawaters and oceans. Carbon dioxide reacts with seawater to produce carbonic acid (H₂CO₃).
pH modifications affect marine life growth, reproduction, and communication. Hydrogen ions have a tendency to bond with carbonate to form bicarbonate. The greater attraction to carbonate over calcium can adversely affect skeleton building and can limit coral growth.
- Ideal for aquariums and marine biology
- Easier to use and more accurate than chemical test kits
- Small size, big convenience
- Range: 6.3 to 8.6 pH
- Resolution: 0.1 pH
- Accuracy @ 25°C/77°F: ±0.2 pH
- Light Source: LED @ 525 nm
- Light Detector: silicon photocell
- Method: colorimetric adaptation of phenol red method
- Auto-off: after ten minutes of non-use
- Environment: 0 to 50°C (32 to 122°F); RH max 95% non-condensing
- Battery Type: (1) 1.5V AAA
- Ordering Information: HI-780 Checker HC is supplied with sample cuvettes with caps (2), pH reagent starter set, battery, and instructions
- Accessories purchased separately: HI-780-25 Reagent set for approx. 100 tests + HI-780-11 Calibration set